Rolls Royce 1930s Story

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #949 by JP
JP created the topic: Rolls Royce 1930s Story
The Wall Street crash and the subsequent world­wide financial depression ruined many car manufacturers, yet, perhaps surprisingly, the best but also one of the most expensive of them all, Rolls Royce, carried on. The 1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom is pictured below with the mascot clearly shown.

1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II

1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II

In 193I, Rolls-Royce took over another prestige British manufacturer, Bentley, whose fame had largely been won on the race circuits of Europe with several victories in the Le Mans 24-hour race, and an immortal drive for third place against genuine Grand Prix cars by Tim Birkin in the French Grand Prix. Sir Henry (Tim) Birkin was Britain's outstanding driver of the period.

1930 Bentley 4.5 Litre Birkin Blower Le Mans

Vauxhall was another old-established British manufacturer with a reputation for good cars. The genius behind the outstanding Vauxhalls was Laurence Pomeroy, who took a fine example of the Vauxhall, the 4-litre D-type 'Prince Henry', bored the engine out to 41 liters, redesigned the brakes and the electrical system, and produced the classic Vauxhall, the 30/98 (right). Launched in 1919, right at the beginning of the vintage era, the car was an immediate success. As a tourer the car was capable of 136 km/h (85 mph), while in racing trim, the 30/98 was capable of 160 km/h (100 mph). Between 1920 and 1923, the 30/98 won 75 races, was runner-up 52 times and third 36 times.

Pictured below is the beautifully styled I93I Cord L-29 cabriolet. During the vintage years, the United States did produce some remarkable men in the motor-manufacturing industry. One name, little known today, was that of E. L. Cord, who joined the Auburn automobile company in I924, as General Manager. He soon revived the flagging fortunes of the company. He had a gift for picking talented designers and engineers, amongst them Gordon Buehrig, still spoken of with awe in the American industry. This allowed Cord to produce some wonderful cars, including the first American front-wheel-drive car to gain popular approval, a car in which designer Harry Miller played a leading role.

1931 Cord L-29 Cabriolet

1931 Cord L-29 Cabriolet

The L-29 was introduced by Cord in 1929 to bridge the gap between his comparatively low­ price Auburns and his millionaire-bracket Duesenbergs. It was a front-wheel drive car with a straight eight Lycoming engine Lycoming being another company Cord had absorbed. The car was a disaster from the beginning, primarily because not enough planning and preparatory work was done before it was put on sale. In time the troubles might have been sorted out but the Depression hung over the industry and in the three years it was in production, few of these models were built. The L-29 had one outstanding merit- beautiful styling.

In the twenties, Cord was offering cars with a guaranteed speed of 160 km/h (100 mph). Cord moved to England during the Depression but soon returned to America where, in 1937, his company finally failed. He left the memory of three great cars: the Auburn, the Cord and the Duesenberg, which Cord had taken over during 1926-7.

The Chrysler, named after another quite remarkable motor manufacturer, has survived to the present. On the right is the 1931 version, and if it looks un-American, it is because it is fitted with British Carlton coachwork.

1931 Chrysler Roadster

Austin Seven

The Austin Seven (above), better known as the '' 'Baby Austin', became one of the most successful and long-running cars in the history of the automobile. The closed version is shown here. It had four-wheel brakes and a claimed fuel consumption of 21 km/l (60 mpg). 'Baby' was an obvious description, and 'Chummy' came from the close proximity in which the two rear-seat passengers had to sit. The car was surprisingly well made despite its cheapness. It also achieved many successes on the race track and in the sphere of record-breaking. An upright saloon was introduced in 1926, and by 1929 the tourer cost only £125. It was made 'on license in Germany as BMW, in France as Rosengart and in the United States as Bantam.

Austin owed its name to Herbert (later Lord) Austin, a country boy who, after working for the Wolseley sheep-shearing company in Australia, returned to England and designed cars for Wolseley when they turned to motor manufacture. He left them in I905 to set up on his own and by the out­break of World War I, the Austin Motor Company was Britain's number one firm. In the aftermath of war, Austin, like other companies, had to struggle to survive. Austin's genius saved the company; however, when he devised this tiny, inexpensive car.

1925 Rolls Royce

Above is the 1925 Rolls-Royce Twenty coupe. It was a small Rolls which first appeared in 1922.

1922 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Torpedo Descapatable...small?

1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom I

1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom Henley Roadster

1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom Ascot Dual Cowl Phaeton

Rolls-Royce Phantom I

We'll move on to later years and later cars but this era in time cannot be bypassed. It needs close inspection as it represents the great minds of the time. By the way, you have some parts to sell? Ed's Swap Meet.com, this website, allows you to post your parts at this time free of charge. Post an ad while it's still free. Thanks. Good luck.

We love ya,

Fast Eddie of Ed's Swap Meet.com
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by JP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 7.643 seconds

Logo for Sharing

What's In Your Garage?

Show off what you've done in your garage to restore your car or truck. We know you're proud of it.

Show Us Your Ride